Sunday 24 May 2015

Recipe Time - Apple and Raisin Crumble


This week, I would like to share with you a recipe in which I take great pride. My apple and raisin crumble. The trick to this baby is the use of two types of sugar. Demerara adds crunch and texture to the crumble topping while muscovado adds a light toffee note to the filling. Give my crumble a whirl and I promise you will be back for more!
Ingredients (Serves 4):

For the filling:

4 Large Bramley Apples

100g Raisins

2 teaspoons Cinnamon

50g Muscovado Sugar

For the topping:

150g Plain Flour

75g Demerara Sugar

75g Oats (I like to use jumbo porridge oats for texture)

75g Butter

Method:

Preheat the oven to 200°C (Gas Mark 6) or 180°C for a fan oven.

Mix the oats, flour and sugar in a bowl. Cut the butter into rough little chunks and add to the bowl. Now, I know many books will talk about mashing the ingredients together with a fork or something but, in my experience, there is nothing quite as good as using your hands. Yes, you will need a good scrub-up afterwards but it is worth it for a quick and flawlessly effective method. Plunge your hands into the mix and rub the butter into the dry ingredients until everything is combined and resembles breadcrumbs. Set this aside and prepare the filling.

Peel and core the apples. Halve them and cut them into thickish slices - you are making a crumble, not tarte fine aux pommes! Put these in a baking dish or tin and sprinkle over the raisins, cinnamon and sugar. Toss together and cover with the crumble topping.

Put in the oven and bake for about 45 minutes, until the apples are soft and the topping has a little colour (though I never find it goes exactly golden brown). You can serve with custard, ice cream or cream but I think double cream is the tastiest option!

I hope you enjoy this recipe and, if you do, please let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment